Stay Connected

Wednesday 27 July 2016

A Nutritional Update

Some of you might remember that back in April I went to see a nutritionist in regards to my eczema.  My skin was particularly bad at the time, however certainly not as bad as it was here.  As we are approaching August, and I’m now onto my fourth month of my new diet, I thought I’d share with you my progress and how I’ve been getting on!
Yeast, gluten, dairy, chilli, ginger and garlic were all eliminated from my diet for a minimum of six weeks – you can read more about it here – in order to give my skin and body a chance to detox from the bacteria’s causing my problems.  I won’t lie, it was really tough for the first week, I ate around 30 eggs over breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks!  After that though, I found a lot of new things to try, and got myself into a pretty consistent routine.  Breakfast was a nutrigrain style Weetabix with plant based milk or a gluten free granola with Alpro yoghurt.  Lunch was either an omelette/hard boiled eggs with baked beans or a bowl of gluten free pasta.  Then for tea it tended to vary from an omelette, pasta or a tortilla pizza!  Hard boiled eggs were often a snack of choice as they are super easy and quick to prepare, as well as being rather filling and healthy! 

For a while I found it really hard to find things to snack on between meals, as I used to be the type of person who would reach for a bag of crisps or a bar of chocolate – no matter what time of day it was.  Now however I know I can go for foods that are not only tasty, but pretty heathy and filling too.  Nakd bars, Pulsin brownies and Kettle Chips have been my snacks of choice as of late due to their convenience and special offers!  I felt really restricted when I first started my diet, as I went from being able to eat whatever I wanted whenever to being very much limited on a day to day basis.  I now know that there is just as much that I can eat and enjoy as there is that I cannot! 
Since having switched up my diet, I have seen a huge improvement in my overall health, not just my skin.  My eczema has improved tremendously, and although it has flared up a little on my hands right now – this normally happens when the weather goes from one extreme to another.  When my diet was mostly rubbish based, I would often take a nap during the day as I would get quite tired around 3pm.  I can now function like a normal person from 6am – 11pm without a nap, which is a massive improvement as I can actually do things after work and with my evenings!
I no longer need a nap before my evening walk with Hulk!
Finally, the results that I have been most pleased with is my stomach.  I no longer feel bloated on a day to day basis.  I no longer need to eat and eat and eat to feel full, and I’ve lost around about a stone – solely from switch around my diet, which no extra exercise, which is amazing!

Of course this is all still a work in progress, however I’m absolutely delighted with all of my results.  I feel a whole lot healthy on the inside and out - and would very much recommend a visit to a nutritionist if you feel that your diet could be improved, but you don’t know how to go about it.  If you stay in or around Aberdeenshire, I would highly recommend using Nourishing Insights, as Beverly has been great helping not only me but also my brother and boyfriend too!  You can read all about the work they do here.

What’s the best thing you’ve done for yourself that has changed your life completely?


Until the next one,

2 comments:

  1. A detox is a great thing to do, something I should definitely do myself
    Kathy x
    www.alongcamekathy.blogspot.co.nz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel so much better for it in the long run - defs go for it if you don't think you're feeling 100% :)
      Thanks for reading!
      Lauren X

      Delete