Stay Connected

Wednesday 14 September 2016

The Vegan Kind Box August

I treated myself to a Vegan Kind box in August after my mum received her one in the post – the items inside were so brill that I couldn’t help myself!  It was a massive bargain too, as everything in the box totally up over £20, and I got mine for just £8.50 with a money off voucher!  Although it wasn’t much of a surprise when it came as I knew what to expect, I was still super excited to pop open the box and tuck in.

Hippeas
These chickpea puffs were one of the items from the box that my mum raved about, so I was quite excited to try these out as I’ve seen them in the likes of Holland and Barrett and Boots in town.  They were really thick and crunchy, and although it doesn’t look like you get a lot in the bag, because they are so big it is actually a really good sized portion.  Very herby in taste, this particular flavour was not really up my street.  They were nice and really packed with flavour, but not amazing.  I’ll definitely pick up the other flavours to see what one does take my fancy, as I really liked the texture of the snacks!

Squirrel Sisters
The packaging for this snack bar was really cute, I loved the colour and the little squirrels were funky!  I wasn’t really feeling this bar, it was oddly a little sour – I think this was the fruits used to flavour.  It reminded me of a flapjack/nakd bar, kind of a mix of both.  I really liked the coconut flakes that they had mixed through, you could really taste these with every bite!  I’d maybe try out the other flavours of these bars, if I ever come across them in the shops!


Candy Kittens
By far my favourite snack from the bunch, these sweeties excited both me and my mum when she opened up her box, as she’s been filling me in on the new vegan flavour for ages!  We both loved Percy Pigs when she was veggie, however now that she’s gone completely vegan – she can no longer have them due to beeswax.  The Candy Kittens sweeties remind me of these, the texture is amazing and the taste is really nice too – not too sweet yet not so artificial.  They’ve really created a fab vegan sweetie – and I only hope that they decide to expand their vegan range further, as beef gelatine is gross and we don’t need that stuff in sweeties!  Since receiving my box I have repurchased Candy Kittens from my not so local Sainsburys, and plan to do so for the foreseeable future.
Landgarten Crunchy Choco Snack
I’ve seen these bad boys online advertised as the vegan alternative of Maltesers – as seeing as these were a favourite of mine before my diet change, I was really quite excited by this particular snack!  Although very small in size, these little crunchy choco balls hit the sweet spot perfectly without being too sickly or bitter with the dark chocolate.  I myself personally wouldn’t compare them to Maltesers, as they’re substantially crunchier and completely different in taste altogether, however I can see why they’ve been compared.  I absolutely would pick these up again as they were a really nice wee treat – I juts hope I come across them in town sometime soon!

Vegan Egg
This is one of the items I was most excited to try out, as finding something that I can make an omelette style meal or scrambled egg is what I’ve been looking into for a while now.  I recently tried out scrambled tofu which I loved, and had hoped that this would be the as good if not better than that.  Unfortunately, I just really could not stomach the texture of this, it was super slimy and just not my cup of tea at all. I had cooked it like an omelette, and then scrambled it when I realised how floppy it was.  I flavoured this with black salt and pepper, and it did taste pretty good, however the texture was just too much.  I reckon this would be better trying it in some baking good, however that’s just my opinion and I’m sure people love this just the way I cooked it!  
This box was well worth the money, and I can promise you that I will be making a repurchase again from The Vegan Kind.  I treated my mum to the September box too this month which was pretty amazing - I just can't decide if I can stretch my budget that far this month yet to get one for myself too!  Watch this space...



Until the next one,

3 comments:

  1. I loved the Candy Kittens, my 4 year old niece wolfed mine up and she keeps saying she likes vegan sweets :) xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so sweet, she probably enjoys lots of vegan goodies and doesn't even realise! :)
      Thanks for reading
      Lauren X

      Delete
    2. That is so sweet, she probably enjoys lots of vegan goodies and doesn't even realise! :)
      Thanks for reading
      Lauren X

      Delete