Stay Connected

Thursday 31 March 2016

Pug Talk

On October 12th 2015, my 21st birthday, my boyfriend and his parents bought me the greatest gift of all time.  A little baby boy pug puppy.  And there hasn’t been a day since that my life hasn’t been delightful with my baby, Hulk.  Since that day when I took him home – there has been a number of things that I have come to realise are just part of  normal day life when you become a pug owner.  In fact,  they probably apply to all dogs actually.  But here's ten things that I now know, now that I own a pug…
1.   You will never be alone ever again.  Like, ever.  And if you do happen to be away from your pug – it’s because you’ve had absolutely no choice but to leave them with someone that you trust with your baby.  I can guarantee however, that you won’t stop thinking about them the whole time you’re away.
2.   Say goodbye to your personal space.  Seriously.  It’s none existent now.  Pugs have no sense of personal space, so if they feel like walking over your face to get to their toy on the other side of you whilst you’re lying in bed, then that’s what they’re going to do.  They have no shame, you’ll see everything up close and personal.

3.   Dogs are expensive.  Not just pugs, I mean all dogs.  Especially during the first six months when you need to take them to get their vaccines, wormers, flea treatments, microchip and then maybe even to get them neutered (which I’m still undecided about for Hulk.)  And then you’ll be reminded every three to six months of any treatments that they need thereafter.  And that’s without mentioning the amount you need to spend to kit them out before they even come home with bedding, toys, bowls, leads etc.  And then you’ve got the food on top of that – which might take a while to find a brand that they enjoy enough to carry on eating after a week or two.  And there is even pet insurance to take into consideration – which was one of the first things that I did because I know that pugs are prone to having problems with their eyes, nose and breathing difficulties.  So yeah, expensive.  Make sure you have the pennies to give your fur baby everything that they need and deserve.
4.   They will make you feel incredibly happy near enough all of the time - even when they’re being bad.  I mean, who can stay mad at that little squished up face?!
You want to get down from there sir?
5.   The first few weeks will be exhausting for you, your pup and anyone else who is helping out with the fur baby.  They will be scared and will be trying to get used to their new surroundings – so you need to be patient as they adapt.  So if that means being woken up every two hours each night for a cuddle and a trip to the garden for a piddle, then so be it.  You’re also going to need a lot of wipes and kitchen roll to mop up their messes when they don’t feel like using the puppy pads.  Just saying.
6.   They like to chew – so make sure that you have plenty for them to work their way through all of the time!   If you don’t, say goodbye to all of your nice stuff. 

7.   You need to make sure that you have the time to care for your pup.  I’m very, very lucky as when I’m at uni, work and on placement – my parents are happy to look after my little fur baby.  If it wasn’t for them being available to help during the hours I’m away (my dad works from home and my mum looks after my younger siblings), then I really wouldn’t be in a position to have my pup.  When I am at home, I make sure that I’m free to take him out for walks and give him the attention he needs (he likes to play all the time).  Regardless of if I’ve got other things to do, the pup has to come first. 
8.   They probably won’t use their bed as a bed.  More like a toy stash, digging pit or chew toy.  Just a heads up.
9.   You will be bursting with love for them from the moment that you take them home.  Bursting I tell you!


10. Regardless of how long you’re gone, 10 minutes, 6 hours, 3 days – there will never be a time when they are not happy and excited to see you – ever!  A trip to the bathroom (if you are lucky enough to get to go alone) will always result in a waggly tail waiting on your return.  True love.

Have you got a little fur baby?  I want to see the pictures below!

Until the next one,

Lauren x

No comments:

Post a Comment