Stay Connected

Sunday 15 May 2016

All About 'em Coconuts

I’ve been a fan of coconut oil for a long time, probably ever since it became a big deal a few years back.  I think it started when people started cooking with it, and then it progressed into the beauty and hair care items that we know it for today.  These last few months I’ve really gotten back into the habit of trying to use it as often as possible, and I’m happy to report nothing but love and obsessiveness for the stuff once again.
As I’ve had to change my diet dramatically the last couple of weeks, omelettes have become my go to food for my lunch and sometimes even tea too.  I’ve been using coconut oil instead of my regular sunflower oil, and I’ve found it to cook them perfectly and it even adds a little flavour too!  Another thing that I like to cook with it is the fake chicken pieces that my mum found in Sainsburys.  Coconut oil, a little honey and some soy sauce and it gives them a great coating and a beautiful taste.

I first tried out coconut oil for my skin when my eczema had a major breakout in 2012.  Although I find that it doesn’t really do much for my skin when I’m having a breakout, when my skin is nice and healthy it is the ultimate moisturiser for the whole body!  Not only does it leave my skin feeling silky smooth from top to bottom, but it also leaves me smelling like a tropical goddess. 

My latest use for the coconuts is rubbing a small amount through my hair to give it a little bit of extra moisture, as well as a healthy shine.  Coconut oil is perfect for tackling all of those pesky fly away bits, and it has honestly made tackling my mane that little bit easier in the morning.  But best of all, it gives my hair a little bit of fragrance so that I’m smelling sweet from head to toe.  My hair is super curly and also very frizzy, and I’ve really seen an improvement to it since switching to the coconuts!
I've switched to organic coconut oil now, and it really does make all the difference!
I’ve never really been one to use moisturiser on my feet before, and if I do use something I don’t normally persevere with it for long.  However seeing as I’ve been applying it everywhere else, I thought what the hell, and I’ve been give my feet a good coat before I put on my socks each night.  In the morning my feet feel lovely and soft all over – which may not last all day, but hey – it can’t be a miracle worker for everything.

My favourite use for coconut oil is using it to remove my makeup every day.  I’ve read a lot of other blogs who say that they only use it to remove their eye makeup, but I’ve been using it to remove everything from my mascara to the foundation.  It does it ALL, and it actually does it really well.  I’ve ditched the makeup wipes for now for a dollop of coconut oil and a couple of cotton pads.  Even better, it leaves my skin feeling great and well-nourished every day.

Finally, my pugger Hulk absolutely loves coconut oil, much to my friends and families concern.  Not only is it good for us humans, but coconut oil is actually really great for doggies too for their skin and coats.  Most people actually pop a small amount in their dogs foods, however I usually just pop a small amount on one of his toys and let him lick it straight.  I’ve also been using it to clean his skin around his eyes once a day – and I really have seen a great improvement to this area of his skin.
So there we have it!  I bought a 500g jar from Homebargains for just £3.99 – I’ve used about 2/3 of it now and I’ve had it since March.  It’s a great product to have kicking around the house, and when you think about the money that I’ve probably saved by using this one product for so many uses – it would be kinda silly to not jump on this bandwagon and get involved.

What’s your favourite use for coconut oil?

Until the next one,

No comments:

Post a Comment