Stay Connected

Sunday 15 October 2017

My Zero Waste Plan

Recently I have been thinking a lot about how I can make small changes to my everyday activities that will help me to reduce my waste production for the planet.  I’m always conscious of recycling, and if I’m out and about I’ll hold onto any plastic bottles until I’m home to make sure they make it into a recycling box.  I keep a hold of receipts so they will be recycling, or where possible I’ll turn them down if they don’t need to be printed at the till.   One of the biggest changes I’ve made recently is making sure that any fresh produce that I buy like fruit and veg are not wrapped in plastic, where it’s possible!  However, despite all this, there are still some things that I can do to make sure that I’m making a greater difference so I thought I would share these ideas with you all in a post, in case this is something you’ve been thinking a lot about too!

Water Bottle
From now on I’m going to make sure that I ALWAYS keep a water bottle on me at all times, and where possible use water fountains when I’m out and about so that I don’t need to purchase a drink in a plastic bottle.  I’m pretty good at this already, however I’m just going to make an extra conscious effort to make sure I follow through with this.  I’ve started taking two water bottles with me to work to 1. Make sure i’m drinking enough throughout those ten hour shifts, and 2. To avoid the need to purchase plastic water bottles because my refillable one is all out.

Lunch Box
Again, I do try and make the effort currently when I know that I’m going to be out during meal times to pack my meals in reusable containers, however sometimes it’s just so easy to chuck something small into a plastic bag to avoid carrying around big chunky containers.  However from now on, I’m going to make sure that I’m only using tuppawear to store my meals and snacks in, and I’m going to ditch the sandwich bags all together.  Even for when I’m making my daily batches of popcorn, it might be annoying carrying around 6 boxes a day to store food, but if it’s better for the environment that I’m willing to do it!  


Bags
From now on I’m carrying a tote bag/old paper bag on me at all times as well as my handbag, so that when I’m out at the shops, be it for food, clothes or whatever, I will be able to say no to the plastic bag.  Typically for me that would be around 3 bags a week, which is 12 a month, and around 144 a year – that’s a lot of plastic bags to reject!

This is where I’m starting for now, I know these are all fairly small and minor changes, however I’m researching everyday how to live a more zero waste lifestyle, and I’m taking it little by little.  If this is something of interest to you, then I’d highly recommend that you check out “A Plastic Ocean” on Netflix, as well as “The Story of Stuff” on Youtube – and let me know what you think!

I’ll be sure to keep you all posted on how I’m coping over the coming months!

Until the next one,


Lauren X

No comments:

Post a Comment